Call Today! 407-218-6265
William D. Umansky, Esq.
Criminal Law in Orlando and throughout Central Florida
Criminal defense lawyer, William D. Umansky, Esquire is the founding partner of The Umansky Law Firm. He has dedicated his entire legal career to the legal system and has always, in every stage of his career, remained active in community affairs. William D. Umansky has over fifteen years of experience to offer any client, in the areas of criminal defense and personal injury law. He has insight into the workings of the prosecution because his career includes experience as both a former Assistant State Attorney in Brevard County, Florida and as the City Prosecutor for the City of Orlando. As a former prosecutor, Mr. Umansky was in charge of the Domestic Violence Misdemeanor Division. He has also taught police officers and police recruits. He has given numerous training seminars to police officers at the Orlando Police Department and has been a Police Academy Instructor at the Criminal Justice Institute in Valencia, and an Adjunct Professor at Florida Metropolitan University. Mr. Umansky's entire career has centered on the legal process, both as a prosecutor and now a defender of those accused of illegal behavior.
During his career, Mr. Umansky has remained involved in his community and is an active part of Florida's legal system. Early on in his career he volunteered in Washington D.C. for Florida Senator Connie Mack as a legislative assistant. He has been recently elected to the executive counsel for the Orange County Bar Association and was former Co-Chair of the Orange County Bar Criminal Law Committee for several years; He is a member of the Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers, Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and a board member for the Central Florida Criminal Defense Attorneys Association. He remains involved in the juvenile system as a volunteer teen court judge for the OCTC program and is on the board of directors for that organization as well as the fund raising board for the same organization.
To further his commitment to the community and to those who are in need of legal services, Mr. Umansky became a trustee of the Orange County Legal Aid Society where he serves on the board. In addition, he is on the board of directors for the Teen Alternatives Inc. Program. William Umansky also serves on the central Florida Orlando YMCA board of Directors and is a member of the Avalon Park Rotary Club.
Mr. Umansky graduated cum laude from the University of South Florida with a bachelor's degree in Psychology. During school he worked full time in the restaurant industry as a bartender, waiter and manager, and was heavily involved in school politics as a school senator. He obtained his law degree from the University of Florida College of Law. During law school, Mr. Umansky was a member of the University of Florida Trial Team and received a Certificate of Recognition for Outstanding Contribution to the University of Florida Law School. He also earned an award for achieving the top grade for his work in Negotiations and Dispute Settlement and was very involved in law school politics as a school senator. Mr. Umansky also attended the Tulane Institute of European Legal Studies in Paris, France when he studied international and intellectual law.
Orlando Criminal Defense Lawyer William D. Umansky, Esquire is admitted to practice in the Florida State Courts and the U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida.
Areas of Practice:
- Theft, Fraud and Shoplifting
- Drug Offenses
- Prostitution and Solicitation
- Sealing and Expungement
- Traffic Violations
- Domestic Violence
- Juvenile Crime
- Tourist Defense
- Probation Violation
- Criminal Consequences
- Misdemeanors and Felonies
- First Time Offenders
- Criminal Traffic Violations
- Criminal Law
- Personal Injury – Plaintiff
- Florida, 1992
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
University of Florida College of Law, Gainesville, Florida, 1992
University of South Florida, 1988
Bachelor of Arts
Honors: Cum Laude
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- NACDL member
- OCBA, 2000 – Present
- OCBA Executive Counsel, 2008-2010
- Co-Chairman, Criminal Law Committee, 2000-2005
- OCBA Gala Committee, 2005-2006
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Present
- American Association of Trial Lawyers, 2002-2007
- Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers, Present
Central Florida Criminal Defense Attorneys Association,
Board of Directors, 2005 - 2007
- Vice Chairman of Teen Alternatives, Inc., 2003 - 2008
- Orange County Teen Court Judge, 2002 - Present
- Teen Court Board of Directors, 2003 - Present
- Inns of Court, Over five years
- Orange County Legal Aid Society Board of Trustees, 2006-2009
- Ninth Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee 2010
- Florida Trend's 2010 Legal Elite Recognition
- Co-author of Power Principles For Success
- AV Rated by Martindale Hubbell
- National Academy of Best Selling Author-Certificate of Recognition-Best-Selling Book 2010
- Board of Directors, Central Florida YMCA, 2003-2005
- Rotary Club of Avalon Park, 2006-Present
- East Orlando Chamber of Commerce, 2006 - Present
- To further his commitment to the community and to those who are in need of legal services, Mr. Umansky became a trustee of the Orange County Legal Aid Society where he served on the board from 2006-2009.
- Avalon Park Safe Neighborhood Meet & Greet
- 2012 Colonial High School for the OCBA Foundation. Topic "Law and Civics"
Past Employment Positions:
- Assistant State Attorney, 1992 - 1995
- City Prosecutor, 1995 - 1997
- Elizabeth Faiella, P.A. (Personal Injury & Medical Malpractice), Associate
- Best & Anderson (Personal Injury), Associate
- Umansky and Fencik, P.A., Partner
- Named a Top Criminal Lawyer by Orlando Home and Leisure magainze (2011)
- Bronze award to Legal Aid (2009)
- Orange County Legal Aid Society: Recognition for Service as Trustee of the Board (2009)
- Certificate of Special Congressional Recognition by Congressman Grayson for service to Legal Aid (2009)
- Legal Aid Society; Award for Outstanding service on the Breakfast of Champions 2009-2010
- Orlando Home and Leisure Magazine - Top Lawyers - Traffic Violations 2012
Please contact Central Florida Criminal Defense Lawyer, William Umansky about a Orlando criminal defense. Call The Umansky Law Firm today for your free initial consultation.